- A team of researchers from Morgan Stanley released a report detailing when each state would be ready to reopen based on the federal government's three-phase road map.
- Morgan Stanley is targeting a mid-June return for most workers if states continue to see a downward trajectory in coronavirus cases and have enough hospital capacity.
- Most people who can work remotely will still work from home during the phased return.
- And while some shops, bars, restaurants, and venues will reopen, there will be strict physical-distancing guidelines in place.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
States around the US are looking to reopen as they move past the peak of the coronavirus outbreak.
In April, President Donald Trump released a three-phase road map2020欧洲杯足彩外围app for reopening the country state by state.
While the authority for reopening states rests with governors — some of whom have developed their own reopening metrics — researchers from Morgan Stanley put out a report outlining when each US state is expected to hit its peak of cases and meet the criteria for reopening based on the Trump administration's plan. The researchers also included their guidelines for containing the spread of the virus.
The federal guidelines, or "gating criteria," for reopening and implementing the three-phased approach are as follows:
- Symptoms of COVID-19, as well as symptoms of flu-like illnesses, must decline for 14 days.
- A downward trajectory of cases within a 14-day period or a decrease in the percentage of positive tests within that time frame.
- Hospitals must be treating all patients without crisis care and have a "robust" testing process available for vulnerable workers.
"We caution that our current analyses focus on predicting the downward trend in documented cases, which is only a part of the criteria and is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for reopening," the researchers said.
Even when states meet the criteria for each phase, it won't be a quick return to normality.
In phase one, people will still be encouraged to avoid groups of more than 10 people and minimize travel if possible. Most companies will encourage nonessential employees to work remotely.
In phase two, people will be encouraged to avoid groups of 50 or more people. They'll be allowed to resume nonessential travel, and some bars, gyms, and restaurants may be able to reopen with physical-distancing guidelines in place. Elderly and other vulnerable people will still be told to remain at home, and most employers will encourage working from home.
In phase three2020欧洲杯足彩外围app, vulnerable people can start to ease back into their regular routines; bars, gyms, and restaurants may allow more people in; and theaters and sporting venues may be able to reopen in a limited capacity.
The researchers said the dates provided were the earliest likely dates of reopening, with most states returning to work sometime in mid-to-late June, and not the "optimum" time for reopening to halt the spread of the virus.
One of the chief roadblocks to reopening is developing enough contact-tracing and testing capacity2020欧洲杯足彩外围app to be able to contain the spread of the virus and generate enough data to figure out if the virus is on retreat or if it's reemerging as states open businesses.
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.